Saturday 4 June 2011

How do I stop my mom from changing the conversation?

My mom has a bad habit of changing the conversation whenever I just want to talk to her about something such as buying a new pair of shoes on the internet, or some other small issue. Whenever I talk about something I%26#039;m needing or wanting, she tends to go way out of the topic, talking about something else that%26#039;s completely unrelated and irrelevant (such as my grades, my tasks, cell phone, etc. Even though I do all those).





She feels that she has the authority to change the conversation just to get out of something, or just for the heck of it. I usually try to go BACK to the initial topic, but she often doesn%26#039;t let me. Always feeding me the same pathetic excuse: %26quot;Hey! I can change the topic whenever I want, because I feel it%26#039;s more of a necessity to talk about that than whatever it is you have in mind! You belong in this house, living with my rules and regulations%26quot;





It%26#039;s hard to even talk to her about the simple things without her wanting to discuss something from the past I%26#039;m not proud of, or just veering the conversation into something completely unrelated.





I%26#039;m a very shy college student, and this kind of behavior hurts. That, and some other familial issues have led me to isolation from my parents.





I don%26#039;t know what%26#039;s wrong with me that she continually wants to change whatever topic I CAME to talk about.





How can I get her to STOP changing topics? I hate when she brings up some of the faults of my past simply because she does not feel like talking about my topic.|||Just say %26quot;Mom, that is interesting, but....I want to buy this blank%26quot; just keep saying that every time the subject is changed.|||Keep directing the conversation back. It%26#039;s like me and my grandma, she blabbers on so I just interupt her and get it back to where I want it. She doesn%26#039;t even notice. I didn%26#039;t actually read this whole thing, but I%26#039;m pretty sure you could%26#039;ve summed that up in one or two sentences. lol|||Just be calm and say......%26quot;focus mom%26quot; I really need you to focus.





Regarding her habit for bringing up the past......say %26quot;hey mom, that%26#039;s not our address......we don%26#039;t live in the past anymore!%26quot; *S*|||My mom does the same thing!! Everytime i ask her for something she will bring up my report card that came in weeks ago or even bring things up i did years ago as an excuse as why i dont deserve it. Try this, i usually say ok mom that was along time ago and all im asking for is _______ (watever you want). Or say what does that have to do with it we already talked about %26quot; my report card%26quot; (or watever she brings up) and i already got introuble and you already yelled at me for that so why do you keep bringing it up?