Saturday 4 June 2011

I am doing a Math extended essay. My topic is 'when will comet Halley stop orbiting the earth'?

I am using a mathematical model to demonstrate this (ellipses in polar coordinates).What I am worried about is that I am using some concepts of physics as well i.e. Kepler%26#039;s laws, Einstien%26#039;s mass energy equation, Kinetic energy and the law of gravitation. Is this okay or should I change my topic?|||Comets orbit the Sun, not the Earth. Since your knowledge in this area seems a little thin you may want to choose another topic. |||Change your topic or at least change it to orbiting the sun.





The quick answer is whenever enough material sublimes from Halley%26#039;s Comet to render it susceptible to tidal forces on its next passage near the sun. Halley%26#039;s is a long-period comet that, by definition, follows a closed elliptical path. Unless affected as above or perturbed by outside gravitational sources, it may not be possible to predict when it will break up, escape the solar system or enter a new orbit around the sun.|||halley doesn%26#039;t orbit earth, it orbits the sun.... it%26#039;s orbit just so happens to bring us by it....





what will make it stop? anything could.... it could just graze another asteroid or body, or even be effected by another bodies gravity and be thrown off course..... |||The biggest problem I see with your topic is that Comet Halley does not orbit the Earth. It orbits the Sun


|||Umm, I don%26#039;t think of comet halley as orbiting the Earth.....|||Not ok. You should change your topic.|||It hasn%26#039;t even started yet.