Saturday 24 September 2011

If the religion topic comes up... what do I do?

I'm basically agnostic. In a few days I'm going to be in a car for the whole day with a new-ish born again christian. I know being new at something makes people want to talk about a lot. I don't want to seem uncomfortable or rude and change the topic. The person became a born again christian because of something in his life that really sucked so i really don't want to get into a %26quot;I think you're wrong%26quot; argument because I think the religion helps bring him some peace.
If the religion topic comes up... what do I do?
Thank you for being concerned about this person. I would suggest you be honest with them. Tell them honestly that you do not believe the way they do, and you would not feel right getting into a discussion with them about this subject right now.



I am truly impressed with the answers up to this point. Very good answers from concerned folks of different views. This is how it should be.
If the religion topic comes up... what do I do?
You've basically got two options:



Read up on Christianity and lie.



Or...



Just be up front with it. It's helpful that you're agnostic, because it basically means that God could exist in your eyes. This gives you some breathing room. Don't challenge their beliefs, just state your own and say you're open to new ideas. This will give them a chance to talk, which sounds like it would help with their current situation. Just be really polite and neutral about it.
If it comes up, just tell him you're agnostic and leave it at that. If he pursues the topic and can't accept that your beliefs differ, it's his own fault if an argument occurs.
well obviously you dont want to tell him you completely dissagree but just dont really say anything unless you really have to. if you do then just say your not christian and leave it at that.
just try to include science with the conversations
Be a great listener.
If he says something which is for your own good listen to him. [Isaiah 48.17,18; Matthew 24.14; 1Tim 2.3,4]



Today's world has become extremely secular so much so that religion has become taboo. But it is not so in the beginning. When man was still very close to his Creator. When Satan has not %26quot;blinded the minds of unbelievers%26quot;. [2Cor 4.4; John 8.44]



The good news is soon the pure worship will be restored by God. Then the worship of God will again be a topic which gives real joy for everyone [Rev 21.3,4]











Cheers!
Just listen and don't interject your opinion unless asked. If you disagree then politely tell them, they will not shatter. Your fear is worse than reality.
To bad I'm not going to be with you. . .I'm an engineer that loves to make people argue with themselves by throwing their own words back at them. I feel bad for you
Why do you have to argue with that person? Just let him/her share their testimony. You're an agnostic which means that you don't know whether God exists or not. So, here is a person that does know. Why not hear him/her out? Remember that when they're new at this this means that they are like a child finding a great treasure. You can share your view if you feel like it and make peace with one another. Take care and God Bless. :)
I've been in situations many times to where non believers start hammering on me because of my beliefs. I don't care to argue so I normally change the subject. Now in your circumstance, your right. You don't want to change the peace and happiness that he is feeling. Take the conversation

and go with the flow. You can listen to his happiness, his peace and have a usual conversation. Don't lie. If it comes up, let him know that you are agnostic. Laugh a little maybe and tell him that there are two things that you don't talk about. Politics and Religion. Like you said, a new Christian can be just as irritating as a friend who just bought a new car....on and on until you want to beat the car up. Be nice, be gentle be yourself. Your friend likes you for who you are......

I'm Christian by the way.....Good Luck
Listen politely to their testimony.

If the person says something like %26quot;do you know the lord%26quot; which is a segue to their attempts to convert you then...



Tell the person that religion by it's nature is personal as well as potentially a lightening rod for disagreement. so, while you respect that person's faith and practices you would rather avoid speaking at length about your personal views on the the subject.



If the person goes into another testimony fine so long as they do not continuously attempt to badger or convert you



Peace
I have a colleague who is Mormon. I am agnostic, and probably bordering on atheist. I think the rules and regulations that go along with Mormonism are ridiculous, to put it mildly. My colleague is aware that I like to drink alcohol, smoke weed and have sex without being married. Yet, with this extreme disparity in our beliefs, we can still have long and fascinating spiritual conversations where, at the core of it, we are in agreement. The reason for this is my spiritual beliefs, while excluding the Christian god and the bylaws for conduct associated with Mormonism, are essentially the same. Rather than try to shoot down his beliefs, I listen and try find ways in which they are similar to my own.



The key is listening. Ask yourself, what do you believe? If you can answer that, or at least explore it, you can have a conversation without the %26quot;I think you're wrong%26quot; argument.
Never discuss religion or politics if you want to keep your friends.
Be entirely open-minded. You will then learn something.