Saturday 24 September 2011

Parents, do you fish for info from other parents about ur school?

I have 2 kids in elementary school, am not on the PTA, volunteer when I can. I actively try to gather information about school like who are the good teachers, what kind of curriculum in higher grades, what onsite afterschool activities are good, and in general parents opinion on the school and principal etc.



I do it by casually talking to parents at school during drop off and pickup, or at local parties and other events. If they seem like they want to talk(like me!), I continue a little bit or change the topic/move on. And I do give my frank opinion if they are interested.



I was wondering if there are other parents(not part of the in-crowd of parents at school) who nevertheless actively try to gather info about school from other parents? Just curious.
Parents, do you fish for info from other parents about ur school?
PTO moms do the same thing. I'm not sure what that has to do with the question.



I think it's a part of responsible parenting to try to find out information about the place where your children are spending large parts of their days %26amp; the people they are spending that time with.



I'll always talk on the playgrounds %26amp; around town with other parents (PTO or not) about the school, if they know anything about it or if they want to know anything.
Parents, do you fish for info from other parents about ur school?
I always hang around my mom when she talks to other parents mainly because I need a ride somewhere. She doesn't quote on quote 'gather' information, but she picks things up. Like if another parent says one teacher is really good or something, then she'll remember, and hope that one of my brothers or sister will have that teacher. I wouldn't say she goes 'fishing' for answers, but she does know quite a lot. I don't get what you mean by in-crowd, but she knows all the moms and is friends with all of them.
I'm not a parent but my little sister is in fourth grade and I know that my mom does the exact same thing. She works two jobs so she can't really be active with things such as the PTA so this is her way of keeping up with everything.
I do that all the time. I found out from one of the moms (and then a teacher) that the school my son should have gone to wasn't the best, especially for him. We would have had a miserable year, I think, had I not known that. As long as I steer clear of straight gossip, I'll chat with other moms and dads to see about school.
I think I know what you are talking about. I also have kids in elementary school, and there are parents (mostly on the PTA board or friends of PTA board members, or friends of the principal) who happen to know more about the less publicized school stuff. This is the in-crowd in our area, and I am not part of it :-)



I do make a conscious attempt to be aware of school related news that does not show up in newsletters. I speak to other parents, even the older kids my kid carpools with, and get a lot of feedback on lot of things. So, yes, I do actually fish for info, but I also am sure to put it in proper perspective.



I've got to know lot of inside info on issues like teacher assignment, gifted and talented program, school council elections, talent show policies, teacher's opinion about some pesky parents :-)



It is an art to gather info, but not appear to be a busybody!!!
Of course, I think we all do this. I wouldn't necessarily call it fishing because I think it's part of normal parent conversation.



Last year during little league I found just about all the parents compared schools and daycares and teachers and pediatricians. So I think this is a very normal part of parenting!
There is an %26quot;in%26quot; crowd of parents? I honestly hadn't noticed. We live by experience. No two parents (or students) will feel the same way about one teacher. After school activities are determined by my children's interest. If they don't like it, they move on to something else. I guess my answer is no, I don't %26quot;fish%26quot;. I just have general conversations like a normal person.
Absolutely.