Wednesday 26 October 2011

American Revolution Essay Topic?

So here's the deal.



I'm writing a history paper for school, for History.



This is part of the IB program. We have to write something called an internal assessment.



Basically, I have to come up with a QUESTION, and then research, and write an essay. The whole thing is like 12 pages. I have a ton of books on the American Revolution but I had to change my topic last minute.



So I'm wondering what to write about? Again, I get to PICK my question - the question has to have me ANALYZE, so phrases like %26quot;to what extent%26quot; are good, while %26quot;what caused this%26quot; is bad. It has to be semi-narrow of a topic, not too broad, but something that I can really dig into. Something kind of controversial, that there would actually be DEBATE about. Not a question that has one true answer.



Right now I'm really into the Articles of Confederation, Federalist/AntiFederalist Conflict / Ratification of the Constitution. Do you have any suggestions?
American Revolution Essay Topic?
Here's something you could write about:



How did the traditional role of the King as the executive effect the future government of the United States?



You can talk about how the Presidency very much emulates the position the monarchy used to have in Great Britain whereby he has to request money from the legislature, but is mostly independent of the legislature in executing the law. Also, fear of the centralized and autocratic rule of the monarchy was also feared and drove the separation of powers and checks and balances as well as the concept of federalism (separation of national and state government). you can also talk about how the rabid fear of centralized government originally gave as the Articles of Confederation which were basically a failure because the states were so unwilling to give power to a central government.